SAN ANTONIO - Northside Independent School District fired an instructional assistant charged with identity theft, and the district is now making changes within. 25-year-old Jason Miller was let go Thursday, two days after his arrest.
Inside Miller's apartment, Live Oak Police found a stack of forms used to authorize criminal background checks for district volunteers according to an affidavit. The stack included names of eight alleged victims. Now Northside is limiting access to those forms.
"We're making it harder to have a printable form provided so that people can print off a form and pass it around. We don't want people to be doing that," explained district spokesperson Pascual Gonzalez.
Previously, volunteers had the option of printing out the form or completing it online at the district's website. Now, the print out option is no longer on the website and Gonzalez said volunteers should only fill out the form online.
"This was actually done since the story broke where we saw how easy it was for somebody to print out a form in the name of Northside school, go out and get this information," he explained.
Taylor Stakes says Miller hired him to be a judge at a Northside high school debate tournament in September, and then found out from Live Oak Police that Miller allegedly stole his identity.
"It was somebody that I trusted. It was somebody that I knew that hired me to do a service and I expected him not just to protect my information, but I never expected him to steal my information," Stakes said.
Stakes says he gave Miller a tax form an a background authorization form at the tournament. A Live Oak detective filled Stakes in about the illegal activity.
"The detective told me Jason had been going to pay day advance loans in my name. Then opening checking accounts, then depositing the money in the checking account, pulling it out and putting back into his account," Stakes said.
An affidavit says Miller confessed to stealing Stakes' information. Miller was arrested Tuesday outside Beard Elementary where he worked. He had been employed by the district since September 2010.