SAN ANTONIO- A single mom and her four children narrowly escaped a fire that started in their apartment. The fire ignited late Saturday night at the Ivy Apartments on the East Side located along the 4500 block of Lavender Lane.
Ronesha Carrington and her young children just barely made it out alive from their upstairs apartment. They had all fallen asleep in the living room while watching television. That’s when they woke up to smoke and flames in their apartment.
“We had all just fallen asleep and the smoke alarm went off. Thank God for that,” explained Ronesha Carrington”.
Ronesha said the fire started in one of the bedrooms where her children would have normally been sleeping. When she woke up she went to the room to see why it smelled like smoke.
“I went to the back and everything was just already glowing red,” said Ronesha. “We tried the fire extinguisher and it didn't work very well. So I just grabbed my kids and had them start knocking on people's doors yelling fire”.
She knew there were three other tenants in her apartment building and she felt she had to make sure they were OK. Her 11- year old son Lee Anthony helped out by alerting neighbors. He said it was very scary waking up to smoke and fire in his home.
“I just thought I was dreaming about it. I thought I was dreaming about that this would never happen to us,” explained Lee Anthony.
Everybody made it out safely. Now Ronesha and fire fighters are just trying to piece together what happened.
She said, “They told me that maybe it was an electrical fire that maybe we had too many things plugged in. But we really didn't we only had a TV and a play station in the area where it was plugged”.
Fire fighters have not officially said what sparked the fire, but whatever it was has resulted in the entire building not being livable.