SAN ANTONIO -- A home on the South Side was struck by lightning Thursday morning.
Firefighters were called to a home in the 100 block of East Harding around 11:45 a.m. Thursday after lighting struck the rear of the home.
No one was hurt. Andrea Hubbard was at home alone when it happened.
“I’m kind of glad it’s not me,” Andrea Hubbard says while holding a frayed electrical cord.
What a jolt – just an hour before, Hubbard was inside the house and asleep.
“I heard a loud clap of thunder and woke me up, startled me,” Hubbard says.
That’s when she got a shocking phone call from her mother.
"The neighbors think that lightning stuck the house and there might be a fire,” Hubbard says. "I told her, what if there was a fire in there? We have fire extinguishers. She said, 'Don't be a hero.'”
So Hubbard called 911, and emergency crews say that was the right call.
She never saw flames but knew something was smoking.
"It smelled like something was burning,” Hubbard says. “Like we were cooking something and it was burning."
Firefighters told her lightning traveled through the aluminum siding of the home and sparked electrical cords on the deck.
"The firefighters were saying it had struck the tallest part of the house,” Hubbard says.
CPS checked the rest of the home as a precaution.
"All of my friends know that I'm deathly afraid of lightning. It's kind of ironic but now they'll know why,” Hubbard says. “A lot of the firefighters were telling me earlier I should go out and buy a lotto ticket because I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than win the lotto. Maybe I should!"
Hubbard says she grateful she beat her fears, and the odds.