SAN ANTONIO -- A family is homeless after a fire destroys the Northwest side home they were living in.
The fire started just after 9:00 a.m. Wednesday at a home in the 2700 block of Wilson Boulevard.
"You're talking about ashes to ashes, dust to dust in there, " said Vera Gonzales. Gonzales lived in the home with her husband and three children. Gonzales said they'd only been renting the home for about three weeks, and did not have renters insurance.
"I'm numb, I'm just emotionally distraught right now, " added Gonzales.
The fire started after Gonzales husband was trying to start his older motorcycle, the bike tipped over and spilled gasoline. "He kick started it, and he turned his head to talk to me, he didn't even realize when he turned back around it was in flames, " said Gonzales.
The family's puppy was killed in the fire.
The local chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.