SAN ANTONIO - A man lighting a cigarette caused a flash fire at a South side home. Firefighters were called out to the home off McCauley near Commercial around 11:30am Saturday morning. Firefighters say Carlos Gonzales told them he had just lit a cigarette when the explosion occurred. Firefighters suspect there was a gas leak with a space heater inside the room that sparked the explosion. A side wall was blown out.
Gonzales, managed to stagger out of the home. The landscaper was taken to SAMM-C to be treated for his massive injuries. Family members say he was burned over more than 90-percent of his body.
Witnesses say neighbors ran to help after they heard the explosion. They were able to help put the fire out with a water hose.