SAN ANTONIO -- There is an alert about crimes against women.
The San Antonio Police Department on Wednesday issued personal safety tips after five reported attacks on women -- all within the last few weeks.
The attacks happened in the area near IH-10, north of Loop 410 and south of Huebner Road.
They range from aggravated robbery to aggravated sexual assault.
Four of the attacks happened on the west side of IH-10; the other east of the IH-10 corridor.
All of them happened between 2am-7am.
Suspect descriptions have varied and police say there is not enough information to link the crimes.
The San Antonio police department urges you to follow these personal safety tips as found on the SAPD website.
· Always be aware of your surroundings, and the people who are around you.
· Avoid walking alone; either walk with someone, or walk in areas where others are near.
· Stay in well lighted areas, away from alleys, bushes, and doorways.
· Avoid shortcuts through alleys, parks, vacant lots, or other deserted places.
· Walk in the middle of the sidewalk facing traffic.
· If the driver of a car stops and harasses you, walk in the opposite direction.
· If you are walking to your car in a parking lot, and anything makes you feel uncomfortable, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS, go back in the store. Get someone to walk with you to your car.
· When you approach your car, check the back seat and under the car.
· Have your keys in your hand. Enter the car, lock the doors, and drive away.
· Do not sit in the car in the parking lot and check your packages.
· If you have a cell phone, carry it with you when walking or driving and be prepared to use it to call for help. Know what numbers to call and be prepared to give your exact location to the emergency operator.
The department also urges anyone with information on a possible suspect or suspects to call Crime Stoppers at 224-STOP (7867).