SAN ANTONIO -- Graciela Galvan sits on the porch of her west side home daily and it breaks her heart to leave at night to sleep in a motel after fire destroyed the house.
"It started right here. There was a dresser right here and I guest one of these electrical cords caused the fire," according Anthony Castillo.
He is helping his mother-in-law shift through the charred remnants.
They have cleared out anything of value, including copper to sell and treasured photos to keep.
"All of my memories are here,” said Galvan tearfully.
Faulty wiring sparked a fire in a bedroom and it quickly spread leaving 12 people homeless—some lived inside and other in a space behind the house.
Homeless now, the Red Cross moved the fire victims to a nearby motel for three days.
When time ran out, a family friend, who worked with Galvan’s daughter, offered to pay hundreds of dollars to extend time at the motel.
"I don't wish that on nobody. They didn't have a place to stay. I figured they are in the motel already so i said let me help you out," insisted Jade Rodriguez.
She and her husband recently opened a restaurant, La Charra Café.
Despite any expenses, she felt compelled to help the family left homeless by a fire.
Castillo said his mother-in-law wants to tear down and rebuild her house.
In the meantime, they need to find a place to live.
"Nobody wants to ask for help. It's not pride, but you feel, I guess ashamed," according to Castillo.
As she sits and surveys the damage, Galvan believes even a cozy blanket would help.
Castillo said a fund for donations has been set up at Bank of America under: Miguel Galvan.