HELOTES, Texas -- Northside Independent School District has opened up an investigation after a father reported his high school son ate a tainted muffin given to him by another student.
The father spoke to News 4 WOAI, but did not want to be identified. He said his son was given the muffin Tuesday morning during his first period class at Sandra Day O'Connor High School.
The father was called by the school to come and pick up his son because he was very sick. "My son was there convulsing, sweating, shaking, crying, screaming. I had to carry him out to the truck because he couldn't walk," said the father.
The father rushed his son to an emergency room, where he said a doctor told him his son had some type of synthetic marijuana in his system. "The doctor said the reason it hit him so bad because if you've never taken any types of drugs before, the first time into your system it's just like a total shock," the father went on to say.
NISD spokesperson Pascual Gonzalez said a police report has been filed and the incident is being taken very seriously. However at this point, the school district doesn't have much to go on since they don't have the muffin, and the other student who supposedly gave the teen the food was found with no evidence of drugs. "We found nothing on the student that he pointed out," said Gonzalez.
Gonzalez went on to say the district has a policy in the student handbook saying students are not allowed to share any food brought from home.
The father says his son is doing better and hopes what happened to his son serves as a warning to other parents.
The district says if anyone has any information in this case to call its safe line at (210)397-SAFE. The line is open 24 hours a day and callers can remain anonymous.