Makes 10 Lettuce Cups
½ Large head Iceberg Lettuce
3 Dried Chinese black mushrooms
1 TBSP oyster sauce
1 TBSP dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
¼ tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. cornstarch
Freshly ground white pepper
1 large egg, beaten
1 TBSP canola oil
½ tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
½ lb. ground sirloin
¼ c minced can bamboo shoots
3 canned water chestnuts, minced
¼ c hoisin sauce
Green onions sliced on the diagonal for garnish
1. Wash the lettuce leaves and separate them out on a paper towel to dry, place in refrigerator to dry and stay chilled
2. To soften the dried mushrooms, boil 1 c of water, place mushrooms in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand until softened
3. In a small bowl, stir together the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, cornstarch, 1/8 tsp. white pepper, and egg until well mixed. Set aside
4. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok until oil is very hot, add ginger and garlic until light brown, 15-20 seconds. Add the ground sirloin and cook until it is browned through. Pour off any liquid that has collected in the bottom of the pan.
5. Return the pan to high heat, add the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and mushrooms, and stir fry until any moisture has evaporated, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the oyster sauce mixture and continue to stir-fry until the sauce thickens , about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Mix hoisin sauce with 1 tbsp. warm water. Stir to combine.
7. Place a little of each mixture in each lettuce cup, top with hoisin sauce and green onion.