RICHARDSON -- A 2-year-old boy is lucky to be alive after his parent's quick thinking neighbor rescues him from a house fire in Richardson, north of Dallas.
Police say the boy's father, Jack Hewitt, had just left for work when the fire started. His wife and son, London, were inside. The wife was able to get out, but in the thick smoke, she said she couldn't get to her son.
That's when neighbor, Troy Richards, sprang into action.
"It was really very dense smoke," Richards said. "And I looked down and there was the baby's teddy bear, and I used that to cover my nose and mouth to filter the smoke out so I could stay in longer and found him and brought him out."
When Richards reached London, he wasn't breathing at first, but relief soon came when he took a breah.
"He had a little smoke inhalation and he still has a little rough throat going on, but he's doing a lot better," said Hewitt.